History of Villa Sachsen

Built in 1843 by Edmund Carl von Bühlow zu Hohenstein, the Villa Sachsen is situated at the foot of the Rochusberg, on the banks of the Rhine. To the west of the Villa lies the well-known wine-producing town of Bingen and the whole region is surrounded by vineyards and beautiful countryside.

Over the years, the Villa Sachsen has been through several changes of name and ownership: at one time it belonged to Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Hessia, who changed its name to "Schloß (Castle) Pila," after his daughter. At the beginning of the 20th century the property was bought by Ernst Mey, a distinguished businessman from Leipzig, who renamed it "Villa Sachsen". Mey made some major alterations and improvements to the buildings: the mansion, originally built in the late neoclassical style, was treated to a spacious stairway, an extension for a new kitchen and extensive outbuildings. In the grounds of the mansion a huge orangery was added, the gardener’s house was enlarged and an orchard was planted

.

After Curt Berger acquired Villa Sachsen in the 1920‘s, the estate was converted into a vinery: a wine press was

added, and a special cellar with an arched ceiling was dug into the slope adjoining the buildings. This is still used today for storing casks of wine.

After World War II, Villa Sachsen served as a military hospital, and later as a hotel. In 1963 the vinery was acquired by Allgäuer Alpenmilch AG, a company that ran the vineyard under the name of "St. Ursula", a specially formed independent company.

It was in May 1994 that the current owners, Soka Gakkai International Germany, e.V. (SGI-D), the Buddhist religious community,

took over Villa Sachsen and converted it into a Buddhist centre. The vineyards were sold, and are now managed by a separate company, the "Gesellschaft Weingut Villa Sachsen GmbH".

Öffnungszeiten:

Montag bis Sonntag von 9:00 bis 17:00 Uhr.

Mittwochs geschlossen.

Villa Sachsen im Netz

Facebook

Sprachen